I chose to read "The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users" by Guy Kawasaki.
1. The overall theme of the book is how social media can be an effective way to build a strong online presence. There are many ways to implement marketing on social media on apps such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. A main message from this book is to post with a purpose and strategy that will make your brand unique from competitors.
2. This book definitely related to the material in ENT3003. For example, the book puts an emphasis on knowing your target market. By having a precise group of people in mind to target, we can specialize our venture for those customers. It is important to have a very solid understanding of your market so that you can give them exactly what they want.
3. If I had to design an exercise for this class based on this book, I would require the students to describe their individual profiles on apps such as Instagram and Twitter. I would ask them to respond to the following questions:
How much thought goes into the pictures that you post?
Do you care about what people think about you?
Who are you trying to impress?
In my opinion, these are all valid questions because society is being controlled by social media. It is important to not be fake and show who you really are despite the "haters".
4. When reading the book, the biggest "aha" moment for me was a direct quote. "If you're not pissing someone off on social media, you're not using it aggressively enough". This did not really differ from my expectations but this quote resonated with me. I agree with this quote because as people in such a unique society we should not feel afraid to express ourselves.
Hello James,
ReplyDeleteYour post is insightful and I am also interested about this topic. I think you did a great job in realting the book with ENT3003 course.We have to firstly identify the target market and figure out what our customers' need. I also think the exercise you designed is creative since the profile in a app can tell us the person's characteristic or preference.
Hey James,
ReplyDeleteI read the same book for my second reading reflection, and I agree that the book offered lots of insightful advice about knowing and understanding your target market. Social media is a very powerful tool, and if used correctly, can greatly lead a company to success. However, if used incorrectly, can tarnish the company’s reputation for years. Also, I saw that quote as well and found it interesting. The quote is very true, and can lead to the discussion that sometimes we try too hard to agree with everyone on our social media platforms.
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI also read The Art of Social Media for one of my reading reflections this semester. I agree that it offered some great advice for developing an effective social media presence for your business. I was also surprised when I read that quote! But when you think about it, it makes sense. If you want to be authentic to yourself, what you believe in, and competitive, it is inevitable that you are going to upset others. Hopefully, you won't upset the clientele you depend on. I agree that social media and entrepreneurship are intertwined. They can certainly help one another succeed. Great job! I really enjoyed reading your perspective.
Hey James,
ReplyDeleteI read this one in the first reflection assignment, and it's definitely a useful tool, especially since you had mentioned that you plan to do a lot of your marketing and ads though social media. You have defined your target market pretty well, so now it's all about reaching them effectively, which this book helps you do. I never knew how the power of linking all the different accounts together could be so strong! You'll definitely be pissing off your competition in South Florida not only due to better pricing, but because you'll be in everyone's face on social media, embracing technology while the old guard will be sitting there wondering what hit them.
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI think the exercise you are proposing is really smart because young people often don't realize how much thought we really put into social media because it has become second nature to a lot of them. Social media has become a main part of our current society and businesses are trying to find new and innovative ways to use it to interact with their consumers or promote their business. Overall, good job on your analysis of the book!
Hello James,
ReplyDeleteThe book you chose seems really interesting, I might give it a try sometime. It is very true that most of our daily lives these days revolves around social media, but it is definitely a necessary took to grow and promote your business. I personally stopped using social media platforms a couple months ago as I felt like I was too absorbed in it and that it was a huge time-waster in my opinion. The aha-moment you mention is quite funny, but it might be true nowadays.
Hello James,
ReplyDeleteThis book that you chose I read it for the last reading reflection. I decided to read because the idea of my bussiness is to create an online bakery, so I need to increase my knowledge of how to manage social media and how to create good marketing strategies. As you mentioned this book helps you to target your audience which is something that we have learned in this class. I will recommend every entrepreneur read this book because build a strong presence on the internet because people are using these tools to find good services and products.
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI think this is an interesting book about the power and use of social media. I see my life always being bombarded by advertisements of all forms on my social media. I think that companies really focus on this because this is the best way to contact as many customers as possible and therefore is a very important part of their business.