Tuesday, June 30, 2020

24A Venture Concept No. 1



         James and co- Hurricane protection at an affordable rate!

Opportunity- Residents of South Florida in Broward County have this need. They are my target market segment. Hurricane season is impactful each year in South Florida and everyone knows how important it is to prepare the exterior of their homes. I believe I have many people that are my potential customers whether they live in a house or apartment. Demographically speaking, my customers come from a variety of backgrounds and differ greatly in age. The nature of the need is urgent and somewhat hidden. We are still in the midst of the Corona Virus pandemic that began in March. Countless Americans have been laid off and are facing tight budgets. Thousands of people are still being affected and that is the only thing we hear on the daily news. Due to the whole country being preoccupied with the virus, I believe many people are forgetting that hurricane season is beginning. I think people will seek my service instead of competitors because of my extremely low prices. People will be looking to save as much money as possible. There are already some tropical storms forming in the ocean so I definitely think it is time for people to start preparing. Customers will satisfy this need by enlisting the help of services like mine to install their hurricane shutters. As previously stated in earlier assignments, this is only something my friends and I do when home for the summer each year. Therefore, the "window of opportunity" will be open for roughly three months.

Innovation- My innovation is a creative service that may be applied in the marketplace to address customer needs of protection and saving money. My innovation is hurricane shutter installations. My customers provide my crew with the shutters and we put them on each window of the home. This ensures maximum safety from dangerous hurricanes. There are different types of shutters but my employees are experienced with all of them. Homes with 7 or less windows will be charged $125. Homes with 8-15 windows will be charged $150. If the home is two stories, an additional $25 will be added to the total. Competitors usually charge anywhere from $300-500 for hurricane shutter installations. There is no doubt that putting up shutters is grueling work. However, I think the prices some people are charge are very unreasonable. As a result, I think many customers will seek out my service upon hearing my prices. I envision making a lot of money from this venture because I believe everyone will be trying to save money.

Venture Concept- The venture concept write-up guide defined one as the application of a specific innovation to address a specific opportunity. The main innovation my service incorporates is low prices and the opportunity for people to save as much money as possible. This pandemic has put countless people on a tight budget and I understand that. That is why the prices I am offering are so low. People want to be well-protected from hurricanes and will be more than willing to pay for it. On top of my attractive prices, customers will buy my innovation because my team has more than 5 years of experience. We do our jobs efficiently and effectively. Additionally, we are all South Florida natives. We understand how chaotic hurricane season can be and have experienced them firsthand each year. This will help us relate with our customers, form a real connection and ensure them that they are in good hands. I do not think it will be hard to get customers to switch contractors for this service because of the price they usually pay. I am offering the same service for more than half off what they normally pay. There are many competitors and their main weaknesses are not having enough employees and over-charging their customers. Essentially, I am saying that they "rip-off" their customers. The location is set in stone since I live in South Florida in a big county called Broward. My pricing plays a huge role in defining my business concept. We also send our customers a survey to rate the service upon completion of the job. I currently have 12 employees and that is more than enough. We are able to split up and work on multiple houses at once. I am the main communicator, set up the appointments and assign the crews to the homes.

The three minor elements- I think my most important resource will be my unbeatable low prices. This is my venture's "secret sauce" or "unfair advantage". Besides my actual innovative service, I have authentic employees who are born and raised in South Florida. This gives us firsthand expertise on top of our 5 years of experience installing shutters. This will make it hard for competitors to copy my success. The next step for the venture is potentially launching a shutter removal service. This is difficult though because all of employees are college students and sometimes go back to school before hurricane season is over. However, I definitely see a need for this service because my customers know that my prices will be the best. In five years, I want to be one of the most sought after people for hurricane shutter installations in the summer. I do not anticipate on this being my main focus or job. This is only something I would participate in on the side each hurricane season. This is exactly how I have been operating for the last 5 years. I am still a college student and have bigger aspirations. Lastly, I do not have any desire to be an entrepreneur in the next decade. All in all, I think I will continue to grow my business each year and attract more customers. I want to help as many people in Broward County stay safe and save money.

9 comments:

  1. Hello James,
    I think you analyze very carefully about your shutter service. The demand of shutters installation is always here and you really have experience of hurricane. I believe you make a good point of you can "form real connection" with your customers. It is important to this business because customers will always find you to help if they trust you. The analysis is really comprehensive. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,

    Affordable hurricane protection is something desirable, especially in Florida. Low prices for hurricane shutters will be a good advantage, you’ll just have to be careful not to have too low of prices, to sustain the business. Your analysis was thorough, but I wish you would’ve broken up each section with some text variety, such as bullet points and numbered lists. This would’ve made it easier to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey James,
    You did a really good job of explaining the services your business provides and how it differs from competitors. I can tell that you have put a lot of thought into how you want to run your business which is a great quality to have. Being passionate, or at least interested, in your venture can be a big part of its success. I agree that low prices is your most important resource in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James,
    This is a great and thorough analysis of your venture concept. I was able to see a clearer representation of your business. I live in Miami so I am definitely worrying about how we will survive a hurricane season during this pandemic. I think a hurricane this year will have detrimental effects on our health and economy. This reminded me that I need to start planning for this with my family. I definitely think that your affordable prices will set you apart. Hopefully, you have a strong base of immediate family and friends that you can start with and they can help you grow your network through word of mouth. Good luck! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey James,

    This is a really good and thorough job on your concept. While I and many agree that your pricing is a key advantage, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned it's a creative service. Many companies can charge low prices, but the customer want s the good experience. Price draws them in, but the experience is what brings them back. In my current technology company, we are evolving to offering everything as a service because product and pricing are commodities. Services are where you can really differentiate in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello James,

    I think the opportunity you are seeking is great as it is tough for people to find affordable shutter installation services in the midst of the pandemic. Many people are also facing financial trouble but worry that the hurricane season is quickly approaching and your solution addresses both those issues. You have clearly stated your pricing model as well as your venture concept. I’m surprised to see that you do not wish to pursue entrepreneurship in the future as you have a brilliant idea in front of you, but it is great that you have other ambitions to look forward to. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello James,

    I enjoyed that the beginning of your post had the name of your venue. I think is perfect because it will let customers know what you are selling and that they will be able to find affordable prices. As you mentioned, not a lot of people are paying attention to the hurricane season due to the current pandemic, and when the times come they are going to be looking to protect themself from hurricanes and people usually want the lowest price. Therefore, I think that this is a benefit to your venue. Moreover, because you and your team grew up in Florida you know how this season goes and the proper installment of your product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James,
    I enjoyed reading through your process and understanding it better on how you are going to go through it. I live in South Florida and it is very tough to find people to work on my shutters for a hurricane or it is just way too expensive. Putting up shutters is a very hard task so I think making it such low prices might hurt you in the long run or might not be worth it. However,I think this is a great idea and with everything going on in the world people still need to acknowledge hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi James,

    I think that your venture concept is really well planned out. I think the thing that interested me the most was the innovation portion, where you explain the break down of the cost of everything based on windows as it made a lot of sense when compared to the charge amount of competitors in the same place. This is great!

    ReplyDelete