Sunday, June 14, 2020

21A Reading Reflection No. 2

I chose to read "Cognitive Surplus" by Clay Shirky.

  1. The main argument in the book is that new technology is impacting society in countless ways such as by making people interact with one another and come up with innovative solutions for the world. He talks almost exclusively about the internet and how we can make better use of our free time. 
  2. The book definitely related to the material that I have learned so far in ENT3003. Shirky talks all about the results of collaboration through social media that have solved many unmet needs. I believe that by using our free time more wisely, we can drastically improve the world. 
  3. If I had to design an activity for this class based on this book, the exercise would involve having students list 5 main things that take up their free time and why. Next, I would have them come up with 5 new ways they could better use their spare time. 
  4. I had one "aha" moment when reading this book. I learned that Shirky rejected any non-passive activity and provided some examples that were really eye-opening. For example, this book has forced me to start watching less television and be more proactive with my spare time. This differed from my expectations because I was expecting to read all about cognitive surplus. I believe that some of the examples he provided are not valid for his argument. However, I certainly agree that social media and TV have taken over our lives. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello James,
    I like the idea of this book because technology really changes rapidly and constantly change our daily life. It is true that social media can solve unmet needs. Like my idea of onlinde delivery grocery service is depend on social media to get orfers. I think you also create a good activity for this class since people tend to wacth TV shows or play video games in spare time and most of them just waste time. I think we should use time to do more valuable things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,
    I agree that the digital world we live in does cause us to mindlessly waste a lot of our time watching TV or aimlessly searching the Internet to pass time. Your idea for an exercise is great! I know there are aspects of my day to day life that I can change to become more productive. I’ve seen the use of collaboration by companies using crowdsourcing for new ideas. I think that’s a great approach to solving problems because it gives a lot of unique perspectives to solving issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello James,
    I enjoyed reading your reflection of “Cognitive Surplus”, it seems like it is quite a valuable book. Making use of one’s free time effectively is something we should all work towards. The exercise idea you have chosen is great as it allows us to recognize the ways we waste our own time and help us shift away from those activities. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James,
    This book seems really interesting especially because it deals with technology which is a key component of our society nowadays. Technology is the future and finding new ways to use helps us expand our perspective on it. Not having enough free time is something that people complain about often but they often don't realize how much of "free time" is spent on an electronic. Your response to the book was really good and insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James,
    Although I did not choose to read this book I found your key points very helpful with my own entrepreneurship ideas. I think you did a great job completing this assignment and it was very helpful with the details you added. Even though I read Mindset By Carol, they have a lot of similarities. Keep up the great work! can't wait to see how you apply these to your own idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James,

    This book definitely interests me a lot. As I major in Computer Engineering, I am constantly seeing what new technology is being made and also see how it can bring advantages and disadvantages to society. I think technology is a must as it has many benefits to this world, but I do think it can also bring negative consequences that one has to pay attention to. I would love to read more about this.

    ReplyDelete