Sunday, May 31, 2020

12A Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

The segment I picked for this exercise was homeowners in Broward County. I decided to interview three of my neighbors. I ended up interviewing 4 people because someone walking their dog overheard the conversation and joined in. I would say each interview lasted approximately 10 minutes.

Summary of what I learned in the interviews:
All 4 people had the unmet need and I told them about my solution. However, they said that they have not even thought about hurricane season because the COVID-19 pandemic has taken over the world and our attention. They mentioned that they become most aware of the need in July. This means that this is when they begin thinking about protecting their homes and families from hurricanes. July is when hurricanes start to be the topic of conversation for many news channels. They still want their shutters put up even if no significant hurricanes or storms get close. The first thing they do to find a solution to their problem is contact the people who previously put up their shutters. Another way they search for information when they first become aware of the need is by asking around amongst their friends for people who can do the job. Additionally, they were very quick to say that they usually get ripped off. When I told them my prices, they all took down my phone number and told me that they will be contacting me.

Conclusions:
After conducting 4 interviews on people who have the unmet need, I can confidently say that the majority of people are not thinking about hurricane season in the slightest right now. As time goes on in the summer, I know that many people will become aware of this need. The news and internet will be all over the formation of storms in the ocean that are bound for land. I think the best way to promote my business is to spread the word to as many people as possible. This will put me ahead of my competition.

7 comments:

  1. Hi James,
    It’s understandable, especially in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, that people haven’t started thinking about hurricane season yet. I think that by conducting your interviews, you did a great job of bringing awareness since “hurricane season” just started yesterday and people need to start thinking about it now. Word of mouth from a few customers will help your business take off. I could see you having to hire some extra installers throughout the summer once the demand really picks up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James,

    It makes sense that the needs aren't at the forefront of everyone's minds currently, but it doesn't change the fact that Hurricane Season is upon us, and it doesn't wait for the pandemic's timeline. If anything, you've reminded them of something that they need to address and face, sooner than later as these named storms come about. They'll remember who reminded them. I think way more people are going to be at home over this Summer, taking less vacations, no business trips, etc. People who may have been casual about storm season because they weren't planning on being home like years past, are having a change of plans, leading to more anxiety and fear that should they be staying home for the long haul, are they going to have that hurricane protection they need? That's business for the taking as far as your concerned. I've been amazed over the years how many people don't take boarding up seriously and just let it ride on "Insurance will handle it". You can be their knight in shining armor.

    -Kyle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello James,

    In your last post, I mentioned that people are not paying attention to the hurricane season right now due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but eventually they will realize that hurricanes are coming. It is good that you started to talk to people and let then know your prices. The fact that they took your phone number means that they are interested in. As you said the best way to promote your product is by talking to people. Moreover, you can do a deal for people that star your product early. Maybe you can give 10% off, so in this way, people will be more attracted to your product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello James,
    I think it is a limitation for your business that some people even not notice the hurrican season. They did not realize the hurrican until late time. I think you propose a great solution that promoting your business ealier. The earlier you advertising the business, the more people will contact you for the installation service.Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello James,
    Your audience really seems to appreciate your plan in building hurricane shutters. It is always interesting to see what they have to say, especially in your case where your neighbors were too focused on the pandemic that they forgot about the hurricane season approaching. The revenue model and the product you are offering seem to align well with the needs of your customers and I can sense you will have great success in your journey. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi James,
    I really like that someone joined in on the conversation because they were interested. It means that this opportunity is truly an unmet need to many other people in South Florida than the ones you know about. I think that Coronavirus has had a big infulence on many so I know that t may be hard grasping people's attention to something else also very important so definitely start advertising soon if you wish to work on this in the future. I think that it is very necessary due to hurricane season and i really like this idea you came up with. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi James,
    I think it is really important to take into account that people have not taken into account that the hurricane season is approaching as most people are concerned of coronavirus. It is possible to run this business in another summer when coronavirus is not preoccupying most people in South Florida. Without awareness that they have that need then the business may not run as smoothly as planned.

    ReplyDelete