1. When someone leaves the bathroom floor soaking wet after taking a shower.
Why? For some reason people dry themselves out of the shower instead of in it. It doesn’t bother them that the floor is soaked because they are done using the bathroom.
2. When teachers take more than a week or two to grade an assignment.
Why? Teachers have a very large number of students in their classes so it takes a while to grade everyone’s assignments.
3. When there is hair in my food.
Why? I sometimes touch my face while I’m eating and one of my facial hairs inadvertently falls into the food.
4. When someone makes a complete mess while eating and doesn’t clean up, leaving dirty napkins on the table and crumbs on the floor.
Why? Some people are just very messy eaters and don’t clean up their mess because it doesn’t bother them.
5. When my roommates don’t take out the trash, leaving it for me to do like always.
Why? My roommates are lazy and assume that if they don’t do it right away it’s only a matter of time before I do it myself.
6. When someone talks while I’m watching a movie.
Why? Some people have a hard time being quiet and paying attention for long periods of time. So, those people need to ask questions about the movie to the other people watching in order to understand it.
7. When a waiter at a restaurant hovers around the table throughout the night.
Why? Some waiters think always being in close proximity to the tables that they are serving will portray excellent service and prompt a generous tip.
8. When I open a bag of chips for the first time and it’s only half full.
Why? The top of bags of chips are puffed up with a nitrogen gas cushion that helps to keep the chips fresh.
9. When there are pieces of my sister’s hair on the bathroom floor.
Why? My sister doesn’t realize that when she dries or puts her hair up that some pieces fall on the floor. Also, it is normal for a human to shed hairs daily.
10. When couch cushions slide off the couch while people sit on it.
Why? The weight of the person or the way that they sat down causes the cushions to slide down.
11. When I can’t fall asleep until 3-4 AM.
Why? I sometimes am just not tired until late at night due to my messed up sleeping schedule from college.
12. When I can’t get something off my mind such as moving on from the past.
Why? I have a hard time letting go of the past and wanting to back in time to do something differently.
13. When someone leaves a light on in a room they’re not in or using anymore.
Why? People often leave that room in a hurry or are occupied with something else.
14. When I receive spam emails and annoying ads pop up on my phone on social media.
Why? Websites and companies send mass emails to virtually any possible email address. The ads that pop up on social media are paid-for advertisements.
15. When light seeps through my window early in the morning and wakes me up.
Why? My blinds are not completely blackout and therefore allow light early in the morning to get through the cracks into my room.
16. When every sporting event I go to has the most overpriced food and beverage items.
Why? The stadium wants to generate as much revenue as possible and are able to get away with such high prices because there are no alternatives for the guests.
17. When someone asks a question they already know the answer to.
Why? This often occurs because the person asking the question wants to emphasize something or to see if the other person will lie.
18. When someone touches me with wet hands.
Why? Sometimes my friends like to joke around by coming out of the bathroom purposely not drying their hands after washing them and then saying they’re covered in urine.
19. When I have to get a shot at the doctor.
Why? Vaccinations are necessary to protect from dangerous diseases.
20. When someone throws or drops trash out of their car window.
Why? People expect someone else to take care of their mess and don’t want to hold on to their dirty garbage until they get home so they feel that it is fine to litter.
Reflection:
When I started this assignment, I came up with a few bugs right away and then had trouble once I got close to 10. I followed Mr. Pryor’s instructions of coming up with a few day by day and after taking notice of the little things in my daily life, I got to 20. The most challenging part of this assignment was writing the answer for why the bug exists. I really had to put some serious thought into each of the bugs in order to get to the root causes.
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your reflection that the last couple of bugs took some time to think of and doing a couple a day really worked for me. I enjoyed reading your bug list and I like how many had simple yet logical answers to the question why. I find it interesting that some were self reflective and I could see myself thinking and responding the same way.
-Raj
Hello James,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your bug list and I definitely feel like I can relate to some of the things you have mentioned such as people making a mess after eating, someone leaving the light on after they leave the room, and also when people talk during a movie. It is evident that there are many problems that we deal with on a daily basis and it would be interesting to see how the problems we face today could have solutions in the near future. Great post!
-Rahul Dani
Hello James,
ReplyDeleteI find your bug list very interesting and creative. Some of bugs are just from daily life, seems normal but actually bugs me, too. For example, I sometimes can not fall asleep until 3 to 4 A.M, which is really annoying. I also tried to figure this out. These daily basis bugs may not obvious, however, a lot of small bugs can be a big bug. We should pay attention to small bugs and try our best to figure them out.
Hi James!
ReplyDeleteI relate to quite a few of your points in the bug list. I find it amazing how there are so many issues people can all relate to, but have become so used to these issues that they are not noticeable. I also wrote about the blinds in my bug list and know there are so many simple solutions that can help out with that. Nice bug list!
Hi James,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this post. I found myself relating to a handful of your "bugs" but the one that stuck out to me the most was not being able to fall asleep until three of four in the morning. I like to wake up early to get my stuff done ahead of time so having problems with sleeping not only bugs me but puts a serious hindrance on my work ethic.